What is physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy is described as how of treatment that encompasses rehabilitation, injury prevention, healing, and thus the promotion of holistic fitness. It primarily focuses on the science of movement to deal with underlying physical issues caused due by injury or disability and help people in restoring, maximizing & maintaining their physical strength and vigor. employing a combination of proven techniques and evidence-based natural methods like exercises and a spread of manual therapies, a physiotherapist aids in diagnosing the disorder and suggests a treatment plan best suited to reinforce the patient’s physical well-being and restore them back to normalcy.
According to WCPT ( world confederation of physical therapists ), physiotherapy cares about identifying and maximizing the standard of life and movement potential within the spheres of promotion, prevention, treatment, habilitation, and rehabilitation. physiotherapy also mentioned as physiotherapy is that the profession concerned with assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of the disease and disability through physical means. It provides services to individuals to develop, maintain and restore the utmost movement. Physiotherapy helps in reducing pain, restore mobility and adaptableness, increase the range of motion of joints, strengthen the muscles and maintain the right posture of the body.
Benefits of physiotherapy
Regular physiotherapy can provide relief to people of all ages affected by a spread of ailments, injuries, or disorders. With the assistance of high-quality physiotherapy, you’ll restore your pre-pain fitness and fitness levels and lead away active and healthy life. a number of the best-known benefits of physiotherapy include:
- Lasting relief from pain: Multiple aches and pains within the body might be thanks to a variety of reasons. Be it an ankle injury while playing basketball or chronic lower back pain thanks to sitting for long hours at work; if the pain affects your everyday routine and activities, it definitely needs immediate attention. Regular physiotherapy sessions not only help mitigate or maybe out the pain but also reduces dependency on painkillers that would be expensive or prove harmful at the end of the day.
- Prevention from surgery: While surgery could also be unavoidable in certain cases, physiotherapy can help eliminate the necessity of foundering the knife, completely. employing a sort of treatments that include a mixture of exercises and therapies, it assists within the elimination of pain from the basis, heals injured tissues, and facilitates painless & smooth mobility over a period of your time. just in case you’ve got already undergone surgery, physiotherapy can assist you to recuperate and recover faster.
- Improved mobility & balance: people that are recovering from surgery or an injury, can take time to urge back on their feet. Mobility is often a challenge and doing everyday chores can become an impossible task. In such cases, physiotherapy can convince be of great help. It not only helps the body regain its lost muscle strength and improve coordination but also gains mobility to maneuver around safely.
- Manage age-related issues: With age, people tend to develop bones, joints, or muscles related complications like osteoporosis and arthritis. To tackle these everyday aches and pains, regular physiotherapy can convince be advantageous. It also can be opted for if an individual has had a knee or hip replacement surgery and is looking to alleviate pain and recover faster.
- Avoid dependency on medicines: While painkillers may provide instant relief from pain, but the effect they will wear on your kidneys and liver can convince be fatal within the end of the day. Therefore, to deal with long-term pain issues, physiotherapy is taken into account to be a secure and simpler alternative to pain control medication.
advantages of physiotherapy treatment
It is very important to understand physiotherapy is not all about exercises and massage. Physiotherapy is a medical profession and physiotherapists accompany immense amounts of skill.
Following are the advantages of physiotherapy;
- No more pain – the best advantage of physiotherapy is that you simply will not need to believe medications or painkillers to urge obviate your pain. Here, the therapist will assist you with various exercises, like joint and soft tissue mobilization. some of These techniques help to prevent and overcome the pain and restore muscle movement. Physiotherapy also prevents pain occurs again.
- No Surgery – Your physiotherapist will do their best to assist avoid surgery and, in most cases, they’re successful. With the assistance of therapy, you’ll eliminate the severe pain and even heal from the injury you’ve got sustained. So, when therapy does the work of the surgery, you’ll not need to undergo an operation. However, in some cases, surgery becomes a requirement. But, with the assistance of pre-surgery and post-surgery physiotherapy, you’ll benefit tremendously. How? once you are in better shape, you’ll recover faster and once you practice therapy post-surgery, you’ll be ready to revisit to your normal shape faster.
- Improvement in mobility – no matter your age, sometimes you’ll have problems standing, walking, or maybe moving. Here, physiotherapy can help. Your therapist will formulate an idea consistent with your needs. With certain strengthening and stretching exercises, you’ll improve your mobility.
- Recovering from a stroke – When one suffers from a stroke, they have a tendency to lose a point of function, balance, and movement. With the assistance of physiotherapy, patients can strengthen the weakened parts of their bodies. Also, they will rectify their balance and improve their movement. The therapists will help the patients achieve independence even after affected by a stroke.
- Recovery from a sports injury – Playing professional sports puts you in danger of injury. it’s inevitable, like stress fractures in distance runners. With the assistance of physiotherapy, you’ll control the injury and stop it with the assistance of physiotherapy. Hence, you’ll be ready to make a secure return to your sport.
- Manage diabetes – Yes, diabetes also can be controlled with the assistance of physiotherapy. As a neighborhood of your diabetes management plan, your therapist will design exercises consistent with your age and health, to scale back the blood glucose levels. Also, people affected by diabetes have sensation problems in their legs and feet. So, with physiotherapy, you’ll be ready to take proper precautions and stop any future problems.
- Manage women’s health – When it involves pregnancy or post-partum care, women may suffer from certain health conditions. With the assistance of physio, you’ll manage these conditions effectively and it also offers special treatments for; bowel incontinence, carcinoma, constipation, fibromyalgia, lymphedema, etc.
Types of Specialities in Physiotherapy
- Orthopedic Physiotherapy:
- Neurological Physiotherapy:
- Sports Physiotherapy:
- Pediatric Physiotherapy:
- Women’s Health and Geriatric
With the mix of proven methodologies and evidence-based practices, our greatest Orthopedic Physiotherapists are providing comprehensive take care to people of all ages and advise them on a treatment plan best suited to revive them to the traditional state and promote overall physical well-being.
Our highly-trained Orthopedic physiotherapists are well experienced in providing physiotherapy treatment for a good range of conditions like back pain, knee pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, arthritis, spondylitis, muscle strain & sprain, herniated disc, tendinitis, plantar fasciitis, frozen shoulder, fibromyalgia, repetitive strain injury.
Neurological physiotherapy treatment refers to the treatment of patients affected by neurological disorders. Neurological disorders primarily affect the brain, medulla spinalis , and nerves. This leads to the loss of movement, sensation, uncoordinated movement, weak muscles, spasms, tremors, and pain. Neurological physiotherapy helps patients improve mobility and develop proper functioning.
Neuro physiotherapy exercises improve muscle weakness, poor balance and coordination, uncontrolled muscle spasms & tremors, loss of functions, and thereby, improve the standard of lifetime of the patient.
Sports physiotherapy may be a specialty within physiotherapy that is devoted to the assessment and treatment of injuries associated with sports and exercise in the least levels and ages. Whether the game is running the London marathon, playing football for Manchester United or climbing Everest, each injury has got to be considered within the context of the stress of the activity. also as getting athletes out of pain and back to full function, sports physiotherapists also are focused on the performance and development of the individual.
Pediatric physiotherapists help children to attain optimal physical development. they need specialist knowledge within the movement, development and conditions that are likely to affect the baby and growing child and treat from 1-day-old babies to adolescents. Treatment may involve soft tissue massage, mobilization, stretching, specific therapeutic exercises and posture education. Because Children aren’t small adults these therapists encourage children to maneuver to the simplest of their abilities through play and age-appropriate fun and instruction.
Cardiopulmonary physiotherapists work with patients during a sort of settings. They treat acute problems like asthma, acute chest infections and trauma; they’re involved within the preparation and recovery of patients from major surgery; they also treat a good range of chronic cardiac and respiratory conditions like Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), CF (CF) and post-myocardial infarction (MI). They work with all ages from premature babies to older adults at the top of their life.
Women’s Health and Geriatric Physiotherapy:
Women’s Health Physiotherapy was founded from the clinical area of Obstetrics and Gynaecology and is the care of women in relation to childbirth, both antenatally and postnatally, including the teaching of antenatal classes, in the treatment of incontinence, and in the care of women undergoing gynecological surgery.
Geriatric Physiotherapy or Geriatric rehabilitation is the branch of physiotherapy that deals with managing physical problems in elderly people. It mainly focuses on people in the process of aging.
When should I go see a physiotherapist?
The need for physiotherapy can arise at any age. Whether it’s a baby, a young professional, or an elderly person. If you or your loved one have experienced any kind of sprain, injury, or muscular disorder; physiotherapy (beginner or advanced level) can do a world of good for your overall physical well-being and put you on the track to fast recovery. also if you have an injury or chronic pain that affects how you function every day. A doctor may refer you to physiotherapy after surgery such as a hip replacement, or an event such as a heart attack or stroke.
- Back / lower back pain
- Knee pain
- Joint pain
- Neck pain
- Cervical spondylosis
- Sprains & strains
- shoulder pain
- muscle weakness
- scapular instability
- poor muscle tone
- Cerebral palsy
- Neurological condition
- Spinal cord injury
- Sports-related injury
- Slip disc
- Osteoporosis / Arthritis
- Post-natal term
- Knee or hip replacement
- Frozen shoulder
- heart-related condition
- broken bones
- Pregnancy-related pain
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Widespread pain in knees, joints muscles, ankle, etc
Types of physiotherapy treatments
Physiotherapy uses a variety of techniques and approaches to enhance the general physical well-being of those affected by some quiet movement disorder, injury, or disease. Following the assessment of your fitness, the physiotherapist may devise a treatment plan taking under consideration one or a mixture of the subsequent therapies. From excruciating back pain to neurological disorders, physical therapists have a special knack for assessing the physical body and helping restore it back to optimal performance.
Manual therapy is a general term for treatment that’s performed using hands. It uses different techniques to cure ailments. This includes massages, mobilization, and manipulation. While massage is self-explanatory, mobilization and manipulation need explanation.
exercise is that the go-to strategy to treat and stop the pain. These exercises that are suggested by physiotherapists aren’t just any random exercises. they’re handpicked for you to suit the wants of your condition. Each exercise targets a neighborhood, which can ensure a speedy recovery.
Electrotherapy is the use of electrical energy as a medical treatment. In medicine, the term electrotherapy can apply to a variety of treatments, including the use of electrical devices such as deep brain stimulators for neurological disease.
How long does Physiotherapy take to work?
Don’t feel sad or get upset about your injury situation. You can’t change what has happened. But you can change your future by being able to prevent your injuries.”
One of the common questions among patients is how long the physiotherapy will last. While this might appear to be an easy question, there’s no clear answer to how long a physiotherapy program will last. The duration of the program will depend upon an individual’s healing rate also because the condition being treated. In essence, every condition is different, and everybody heals at different rates. an honest physiotherapist will track progress and check whether you’re making gains in range of motion, function, and strength. Generally, soft tissues will take between six and eight weeks to heal, meaning that a typical physiotherapy program will last that long. However, since physiotherapy is meant to assist you create a full recovery and resume normal activities, you ought to consider setting goals that you simply would really like to realize instead of setting a date by which to finish the treatment. With the assistance of your physiotherapist , you’ll stay focused no matter the time it takes to realize your goals.
Common conditions and Treatment Times
The number of physiotherapy appointments required will vary depending on factors involving the client (e.g. work or sport commitments) and the condition (e.g. severity, time of onset). Some of the most common complaints and expected treatment times are;
*depending on the severity session may very
- Lower Back Pain – 3-8 sessions
- Knee Pain –10- 15 sessions
- Stroke – 30-60 sessions
- Frozen Shoulder – 10-15 session
- Wry Neck (waking up with a sore, restricted neck) – 2-4 sessions
- Tennis Elbow – 3-6 sessions
- Ankle Sprain – 3-8 sessions